Stylish Ways To Go Green
Here’s the challenge with going so called “green”: Despite your best intentions, it can be a little overwhelming.
While smaller steps will not, in and of themselves, change the world, we believe they still count. So whether you’re writing yourself a reminder to pick up groceries, channeling your inner warrior at yoga, or finding healthy ways to unwind after a long day, there are always (always!) more sustainable ways to get the job done.
Here, a roundup of 12 stylish, simple products from companies that are committed to reducing our carbon print on the Earth. From their product to their packaging, these companies offer greener, healthier swaps for items in our everyday routine, so that we can celebrate Earth Day and every day after that.
1. Made of 25 recycled water bottl timberland boots for men es the material, guys, the material these pants are stretchy, chafe resistant, and breathable. In short: They’re perfect for yoga and running errands. (Check out 10 more cute yoga looks for spring.)
2. Get smart about how you pack your snacksEvery day, the United States alone adds 20 million plastic bags to landfills. And according timberland boots for men to last year’s International Clean Up report from the Ocean Conservancy, over 900,000 of the trash items clogging our shores and coastlines are discarded food packages. But with a reusable bag, you can cut that number significantly and enjoy a healthier lunch while you’re at it. And if you go with their organic line, you get a reusable bag made from organic cotton exterior fabric, 100% organic cotton napkins, as well as 100% hemp bread sacks.
3. Instead, their ingredients are all certified organic, minimally processed and cruelty free. “A light swipe makes for a gentle flush on your cheeks and lips, or you can layer it for a va va voom dramatic bold, non toxic look.” (Afraid of color? Get Bobbi Brown’s tips to embrace bright makeup.)
4. Their line is Natural and Organic Cosmetic certified by ECOCERT Greenlife.
In fact, all of Kahina’s products from start to finish are sustainably made with ethically sourced raw materials, certified natural and organic ingredients, and ship in recycled and recyclable packing. Plus, money made from their line is donated to the women who work to provide their materials and ingredients. “This timberland boots for men cream based non foaming cleanser keeps your skin’s acid mantle intact, preserving beneficial skins oils so it never over dries,” says O’Connor. “It gently exfoliates with natural acids that break down grime and make up.” (We would have went with their argan oil, but we already suggest that, here.)
5. Made from non toxic thermoplastic rubber, which contains no polyvinylchloride (PVC) or latex, this mat offers excellent grip, padding and stability. Without PVC, this mat is free of phthalates a common chemical used to soften plasticizers and is believed to pose potential health and environmental risks, according to the US Environmental Protection Agency.
Bonus: Gaiam throws in a free yoga workout video with every yoga mat purchase. (Just getting into yoga? See 5 Poses For Yoga Newbies.)
6. Switch your stationeryWe’re willing to bet that, at this very moment, you have an upwards of three post it reminders in your office. Meetings! Dry cleaning! Dinner! Something you may not have a reminder of? Harvesting trees for papermaking releases carbon carbon dioxide, in most cases which ultimately leads to greenhouse gas emissions. And these emissions are what supercharge climate change. (Not sure why that’s bad? See 8 Ways Climate Change Ruins Everything.)
Recognizing this problem, Post it Brand has committed to making an eco friendly product that reduces its impact on the environment 72% less greenhouse gas emissions and 68% less waste but not at the expense of your to do list. The result: Greener notes ($8.29, 12 pack; office supply stores). These notes are made from 100% recycled paper and a plant based adhesive, giving your reminders an Earth friendly edge.
More from Prevention: How To Prevent Memory Loss
7. Constructed of durable, recycled PET fabric, it’s functional, roomy and organized. Don’t need another messenger bag? Consider other items from Timbuk2’s full cycle line, including a yoga bag and Kindle sleeve cover.
Other Timbuk2 features we love: they offer a buy back program, where they buy old bags and find them a new, happy home. Plus, their packaging is a bike map of San Francisco the company’s headquarters and can be cut out to use in a number of ways per their website.
8. This pampering polish is vegan and comes in a reusable bottle crafted from 50% recycled materials. So instead of synthetic dyes, you’re left with a pretty, natural color.
9. Drink upIt’s one thing to get in your daily recommended amount of water (8 to 9 glasses), and it’s another to do so healthily. Plastic bottles contain the now officially toxic BPA, and stainless steel bottles often have a weird, metallic after taste. The caps and protective silicone sleeve are also BPA/BPS free, safe for everyday food contact and helps prevent breakage.
Lifefactory bottles are available in a wide range of sizes timberland boots for men and colors, with each color carefully crafted by owner Daren Joy. For example, “red is a sustaining and transformative color; great on the bedside table and for those who are seeking a conscious lifestyle change,” and orange “is about finding what is fresh in what is eternal; create yourself,” says Joy.
10. It’s made with 100% GMO free soy wax and organic essential oils, has an all natural cotton wick, is vegan, biodegradable and burns in a recycled glass tumbler that’s easy to reuse when done. Oh, and did we mention it smells amazing? (Want to learn more about Honest? Order your copy of The Honest Life.)
11. More importantly, it’s delightfully scented in a his and her way, says O’Connor. “It’s floral but spicy and very clean smelling.”
12. Greener Pup’s line of beds for dogs and cats is affordable, attractive, and hypo allergenic, with each pound of filler produced from 10 plastic bottles. Proceeds of Greener Pup dog beds benefit Ace of Hearts Dog Rescue, an organization dedicated to saving dogs from high kill shelters in Los Angeles.
13. Take a schvitzThere’s nothing like steaming off a hard day’s work in a bubble bath but it’s best to do so without artificial fragrances, synthetic dyes, or phthalates. Nourish earns extra Brownie points for also being cruelty free and vegan. Some scents we’re loving: Fresh Fig and Wild Berries. (Want to go DIY? Get Dr. Low Dog’s recommendations for a blissful, tension taming bath.) Next
The information presented on this website is not intended as specific medical advice and is not a substitute for professional medical treatment or diagnosis. Read our Medical Advice Notice.